Shop & Donate to Goodwill NWUP
Press Releases

STEM Mini Grants Available May 12, 2022

STEM educators are eligible to apply for mini grants to support innovative projects through the Central Upper Peninsula MiSTEM Region, based at Northern Michigan University’s Seaborg Center. The first two recipients of $1,000 awards were Kurt Corcoran of Aspen Ridge Middle School and Cameron Bancroft of Bothwell Middle School.

The mini grants are intended to support educators who engage their preK-16 students in project-, problem- or place-based education, or promote computer science and cybersecurity opportunities, which are two primary focus areas of the MiSTEM Network. The program is open to educators in seven counties: Alger, Delta, Dickinson, Iron, Marquette, Menominee and Schoolcraft.

“Projects must also connect to the community or a local business,” said Chris Standerford, director of the Central U.P. MiSTEM Region and the Seaborg Center. “Examples could include students working as stewards in their community, visiting locations outside of the classroom, learning about STEM careers, or solving authentic problems.

Standerford said Corcoran will use his mini grant for a project with his 8th grade environmental science class. His students will enhance the existing trail network constructed by Aspen Ridge Middle School students for use by the school and larger community.

Bancroft’s funding will support the purchase of technology to support the eSports student club and engage additional students.

For more information, call 906-227-2002 or email Standerford at cstander@nmu.edu.

Submit Press Releases, News, Calendar Items, and Community Events to mediaBrew radio stations WFXD, WKQS, WRUP, GTO, Fox Sport Marquette, and 106.1 The Sound
Click To Submit Press Releases, News, Calendar Items, and Community Events to mediaBrew radio stations WFXD, WKQS, WRUP, GTO, Fox Sport Marquette, and 106.1 The Sound

Marquette, Michigan Calendar; Ishpeming Calendar; Negaunee Calendar; Gwinn Calendar; Negaunee Calendar and Events; Upper Peninsula Calendar of Events; Escanaba Events and Calendar