MARQUETTE — In recognition of Brain Tumor Awareness month, the Upper Michigan Brain Tumor Center will host its 7th annual Hope Starts Here Challenge on Saturday, May 12. New this year is a competitive half marathon.
Last year’s event drew more than 440 people and raised more than $14,000.
Proceeds from the event will support the advocacy, education and research programs of the Upper Michigan Brain Tumor Center. The UMBTC is a collaborative effort between Marquette General Hospital and Northern Michigan University. Its mission is to empower patients and families dealing with brain tumors through advocacy, research, education and treatment.
There are five event options this year suitable for all ages and levels of ability:
1. Beginning at 8 a.m., the competitive half marathon will take runners around scenic Presque Isle Park and along Lake Superior south to the Carp River and back, finishing at Lakeview Arena. Awards will be given for top overall and age group finishers. Cost is $55. Price increases after March 31.
2. Beginning at 9 a.m., the competitive duathlon will consist of a 5k run, 10-mile mountain bike and 5k run. Awards will be given for top overall individuals and teams, and top finishers in age groups. The start, transition and finish for the course will be held inside Lakeview Arena. Cost is $55 for individuals or each team member. Price increases after March 31.
3. Beginning at 10 a.m., the competitive 10K run takes runners out and around Presque Isle Park. Awards will be given for top overall and age group finishers. Cost is $35.
4. Beginning at 10 a.m., the competitive 5K run takes participants along the shore of Lake Superior to the ore dock near Presque Isle and back. Awards will be given for top overall and age group finishers. Cost is $35.
5. Beginning at 10:15 a.m., the non-competitive leisure walk/short bike ride will parallel the shore of Lake Superior heading south on the bike path toward Lower Harbor. This event is great for families of all ages with distance up to each participant. Cost is $35.
The start and finish for each event will be held at the Lakeview Arena. T-shirt and lunch are included with each paid registration. Lunch and awards presentation will begin at 11:30 a.m. at Lakeview Arena. Participants may opt to increase their contribution by collecting pledges as an individual or a team. The individual or team raising the most money will be honored with a plaque. All riders must wear a bicycle helmet. Cyclists under 18 must have a parent sign a release.
Brochure/registration forms can be picked up at Down Wind Sports, Quick Stop Bike Shop, Lakeshore Bike, Sports Rack, Ringside Fitness, Johnson’s Sports, Marquette YMCA, Marquette General Hospital’s information desks and the Marquette General Foundation office. To register online, or to download the registration form, please visit www.hopestartshere.org.
Click To Submit Press Releases, News, Calendar Items, and Community Events to mediaBrew radio stations WFXD, WKQS, WRUP, GTO, Fox Sport Marquette, and 106.1 The Sound
Marquette, Michigan Calendar; Ishpeming Calendar; Negaunee Calendar; Gwinn Calendar; Negaunee Calendar and Events; Upper Peninsula Calendar of Events; Escanaba Events and Calendar