MDOT Seeking Comments for 2014 project on M-26 in Houghton County
December 12, 2012
The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) is seeking comments regarding proposed improvements to M-26 from the Portage Lake Lift Bridge in Hancock to Dollar Bay. MDOT staff from the Ishpeming Transportation Service Center (TSC) will meet with business owners and local residents to present plans for the project, answer questions and address concerns.
WHO: Interested business owners and residents
WHEN: 4-5 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 13, 2012
WHERE: MDOT Houghton Maintenance Garage51750 Industrial Drive Calumet
Special accommodations: 906-485-4270
BACKGROUND: Proposed plans include reconstruction of M-26 from Pewabic Road to Military Street, and widening the roadway from two to three lanes with a center left-turn lane and new curb and gutter. M-26 will be realigned with shallower curves from Maple Street to the Mount Ripley Ski Area, and about a half-mile east of Military Road.
- Slattery Road will be closed from Second Street to M-26.
- M-26 will be resurfaced from Goat Hill Road to Sixth Street in Dollar Bay.
- Crews will add 8-foot-wide paved shoulders to both sides of M-26 from the Portage Lake Lift Bridge to Dollar Bay.
- Drainage will be improved along the entire project.
- MDOT will acquire 15 feet of right of way from the Michigan Department of Natural Resources (DNR) recreation trail along a curve east of Military Road. A portion of the trail will be graded but will remain the same width following completion of the project. Access to the trail will be maintained at all times during construction.
Click To Submit Press Releases, News, Calendar Items, and Community Events to Great Lakes Radio Stations WFXD, WKQS, WRUP, WQXO, and WPIQ