Marquette, MI – The Fred Waara Chapter of Trout Unlimited (FWCTU), headquartered in Marquette, initiated the Salmon in the Classroom (SIC) program more than a decade ago. Through the SIC program, FWCTU provides funding and support for the set-up of 8 aquariums in schools throughout the U.P. Each year the aquariums are supplied with 200 salmon eggs in late November, provided by the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, and they hatch in January. Teachers and students raise the salmon until mid-May when they take a field trip to a local salmon habitat and release the fish into the stream. During the winter period, the teachers incorporate the salmon into many of their lesson plans such as environment, fish habitat, conservation, and water quality.
FWCTU volunteers will assist the teachers and students of the following schools as they release their salmon. All releases will be held in the morning unless otherwise noted.
- Gladstone School, Friday, May 10th at Pioneer Park in Escanaba
- Escanaba High School, Friday, May 10th at Pioneer Park in Escanaba
- Powell Township School, Tuesday, May 14th, 1:30 pm at the Iron River Bridge in Big Bay
- Superior Central School, Wednesday, May 15th 9:00 am at the Dead River below Tourist Park Dam in Marquette
- Cherry Creek School, Wednesday, May 15th 10:00 am at the Dead River below Tourist Park Dam in Marquette
- Gwinn Middle School, Friday, May 17th 8:45 am at the Dead River below Tourist Park Dam in Marquette
- Grand Marais School, Friday, May 24th at 1:30 pm at the Sucker River near Grand Marais
- Iron Mountain School, Friday, May 31st at the Dead River below Tourist Park Dam in Marquette, tentatively scheduled for 11:00 am
If the river water level is too high and too fast, the release locations may be changed. Contact Bob Jensen at 906-228-3052 (firstname.lastname@example.org) for additional details, or the day before to confirm the location.
Click To Submit Press Releases, News, Calendar Items, and Community Events to mediaBrew radio stations WFXD, WKQS, WRUP, GTO, Fox Sport Marquette, and 106.1 The Sound
Marquette, Michigan Calendar; Ishpeming Calendar; Negaunee Calendar; Gwinn Calendar; Negaunee Calendar and Events; Upper Peninsula Calendar of Events; Escanaba Events and Calendar