Marquette County Transit Authority - Road Tested and Passenger Approved
Press Releases

Joy Named Director of NMU Honors Program

Marquette, MI – Northern Michigan University Professor Michael Joy is the new director of the NMU Honors Program after serving a decade as assistant director.

Students in the program engage in an interdisciplinary curriculum that enables them to earn general education credits in small, discussion-based courses, followed by Honors credit through individualized courses within their majors in their final two years.

“An Honors Program is valuable to a university because it is a way to attract students who are willing to challenge themselves academically,” said Joy. “The program is great for students because it’s a way for them to enhance their college experience, shows that they can take on extra responsibility and sets them apart from others applying for grad school or jobs four or five years down the line.”

Joy succeeds English Professor David Wood, who recently stepped down from the director role he held since 2010. The NMU Honors Program is in its 21st year.

Joy’s plans include growing the program in a controlled manner, maintaining the program’s excellence in education, increasing the completion rate and building a stronger community by increasing social activities among the students.

“One of my goals is to have an entering class of about 100 students per year within the next few years,” said Joy.

“Dr. Joy is an exemplary teacher and mentor and he brings a wealth of successful experience to the position,” said Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Rob Winn. “I am delighted that Dr. Joy has agreed to serve as Honors director and I am confident that the program will continue to move forward in a positive direction under his leadership.”

Joy began teaching Spanish at NMU in 2006. He has also served as the faculty adviser for Quiz Bowl and plans to continue in that role.

Submit Press Releases, News, Calendar Items, and Community Events to mediaBrew radio stations WFXD, WKQS, WRUP, GTO, Fox Sport Marquette, and 106.1 The Gift
Click To Submit Press Releases, News, Calendar Items, and Community Events to mediaBrew radio stations WFXD, WKQS, WRUP, GTO, Fox Sport Marquette, and 106.1 The Gift

Marquette, Michigan Calendar; Ishpeming Calendar; Negaunee Calendar; Gwinn Calendar; Negaunee Calendar and Events; Upper Peninsula Calendar of Events; Escanaba Events and Calendar