NMU Center Named ‘Oasis of Excellence’

April 15, 2019

Marquette, MI – Northern Michigan University’s Center for Academic and Intellectual Freedom is the newest “Oasis of Excellence” identified by the American Council of Trustees and Alumni. An ACTA press release stated the center has been “extremely active in promoting civic dialogue and robust debate for students” through campus presentations. This includes the April 22nd event featuring Greg Lukianoff, CEO of the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) and co-author of The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas are Setting Up a Generation for Failure.

NMU’s center is administered by English professor Gabriel Brahm and a board of faculty advisers. It becomes the 68th Member of ACTA’s Oases of Excellence Network of faculty-led, donor-funded programs and initiatives across the country. Oases of Excellence programs “share ACTA’s commitment to educating students for informed citizenship in a free society by maintaining the highest academic standards, introducing students to the best of the foundational arts and sciences, teaching American heritage, and ensuring free inquiry into a range of intellectual viewpoints.”

ACTA is an independent, non-profit organization committed to academic freedom, excellence and accountability at America’s colleges and universities. Read the full press release, which also quotes an NMU student and recent grad, here.

Submit Press Releases, News, Calendar Items, and Community Events to mediaBrew radio stations WFXD, WKQS, WRUP, GTO, Fox Sport Marquette, and The Gift 106
Click To Submit Press Releases, News, Calendar Items, and Community Events to mediaBrew radio stations WFXD, WKQS, WRUP, GTO, Fox Sport Marquette, and The Gift 106

Marquette, Michigan Calendar; Ishpeming Calendar; Negaunee Calendar; Gwinn Calendar; Negaunee Calendar and Events; Upper Peninsula Calendar of Events; Escanaba Events and Calendar

Comments

Got something to say?